The primary election ahead of the local government election in the state is a litmus test for the leadership of the ruling All Progressive Congress in Ikorodu North LCDA. The State Caretaker Committee had earlier announced the adoption of the direct primary for the selection of its flag bearer in the forthcoming local government election in the state.
- Undoubtedly, This will ensure the emergence of candidates whose mandate will be informed by the popular will of the members of our party. The direct primary will produce pragmatic, visionary and purposeful leadership that would bring good governance to the people.
- The era where some oligarchists and aristocrats determine who becomes our leader which hitherto responsible for their abysmal performance because they did not enjoy the legitimacy of the people.
- As we search for our party flags bearer, let us scout for competent people with the right leadership experience, good educational background and grassroots influence that would translate into good governance. I can say without any fear of contradiction that the current political imbroglio we find ourselves in Ikorodu North may have caused by those who believed that they are more equal than the others. Hence, determine who becomes our representatives. A writer once said “The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” it is time to soro so ke and speak against this evil of imposition of candidates. If we don’t get the process of choosing our leaders right, no meaningful development can be achieved.
- Our leaders must take responsibility at least once by adhering strictly to the party guidelines. After all, it’s often said that it is only a fool that does the same thing over and over and expects different results.
- It’s our general consensus that all aspirants must subject his/herself to the party guidelines of the direct primary election as only unpopular aspirant would be afraid of direct primary. The former American President Abraham Lincoln once said in a letter to his son’s teacher “Teach him to listen to everyone, but teach him also to filter all that he hears on a screen of truth and take only the good that comes through” But from all indications, it appears that our leaders don’t listen to good advise which has led us to the current political quagmire in Ikorodu North.
- Without prejudice to those canvassing for consensus or imposition of candidates as against the party directive. Notwithstanding the fact that direct primary is the fairest, credible and democratic way of electing leaders in a representative democracy. I will like to end this note with a quote from Abraham Lincoln “It is far more honourable to fail than to cheat” if we lose at the primary election, let us lose gallantly.
- Thanks and God bless you all.
Com. Efenudu Joseph